Barcelona will make a move for Sporting Lisbon centre-back Goncalo Inacio before this summer’s transfer window closes on Monday.
The Catalan giants had a scare against Levante in La Liga on Saturday, conceding two goals in the first half, but they managed to turn the game around in the second half and secure a 3-2 victory.
Read: Potter knows the Premier League’s natural law all too well – heading for lightning exit
However, the way Barcelona defended is said to have seriously worried head coach Hansi Flick, as Ronald Araujo and Pau Cubarsi were far from convincing as a centre-back duo.
The Catalan giants have allowed Inigo Martinez to leave for Al-Nassr this summer, meaning they have one less player in central defence despite Flick recently insisting that Gerard Martin can also play in that position.
“No, to be honest, no. Gerard can also play in this position, and that’s something I really appreciate. He played fantastic this season and has also performed well as a centre-back in this pre-season,” Flick told reporters earlier this month when asked if he was concerned about his centre-back options.
Barcelona ‘keeping an eye on’ centre-back transfer
According to Fichajes, Barcelona are seriously considering signing a new centre-back, and Sporting’s Inacio has emerged as a real option for the club.
The report claims that Nottingham Forest’s Murillo and RB Leipzig’s Castello Lukeba are also admired, but a move for Inacio is more likely due to his apparent availability late in the window, as well as the fact that he is considered to be Flick’s favourite.
Manchester United and Liverpool have also been linked with interest in the Portuguese international, but neither Premier League club will attempt to sign him in the current market.
Read: Fenerbahçe sack Jose Mourinho.
Inacio has scored 21 goals and registered 14 assists in 217 appearances for Sporting in all competitions, and he has 16 caps for the Portuguese national team.
How much will Sporting defender Inacio cost?
Earlier this year, it was reported that Sporting would be willing to sell Inacio for €45 million (£39 million) this summer, which would represent a coup considering he has two years left on his contract.
Barcelona could reportedly sell Fermin Lopez before the transfer window closes, with Chelsea interested, which will free up room in their budget to sign and sign Inacio.
Araujo’s early season performances have reportedly caused panic among senior figures at the club, but Jules Kounde is another option, as the France international is currently out of the team due to Eric Garcia’s form.