Arsenal are still “very active” in the transfer market, but Mikel Arteta could have to do without one of his new stars for the season opener against Coventry City on Friday night.

Bruno Guimarães had to go off after the first half in the Community Shield win over Manchester City (3-0) and is still struggling with an injury. – A game where captain Martin Ødegaard was brilliant. He has used the love from the World Cup to lift himself a few notches. The question is whether Arsenal’s newly acquired challenger for Ødegaard’s place will be ready for the start of the league.

Read on English clubs: Danny Murphy: “Only one team can stop Arsenal from winning the Premier League”

“We’ll see how it goes. He’s developing very well, but we’ll see tomorrow,” Arteta said at yesterday’s press conference.

Declan Rice and Bukayo Saka are available, but right-back Jurriën Timber is still not back in training after a groin injury.


Konsa on the way in – Saliba out

It is in defence that Arsenal are expected to strengthen further. The club are closing in on a deal with Aston Villa for centre-back Ezri Konsa – a signing that will cushion some of the loss of William Saliba, who is out with a long-term injury.

On remaining transfer activity, Arteta said:

“We are very active in the market. The ambition is to improve the squad. We have a specific challenge at the back, especially with Willi’s long-term injury. We need one more defense attorney – that’s clear. We are trying to reinforce there. When we’re ready, we’ll announce something.

“I’m always positive and confident. It’s something I can’t control – it doesn’t just depend on us. But we are willing to improve the area, and we will do our best to achieve it.


“Lewis-Skelly will be 100 percent”

One player who has been linked from Arsenal is Myles Lewis-Skelly, the 19-year-old versatile player who was used both in defence and in midfield last year.

Arteta was crystal clear on the question of whether the youngster will stay:

“100 percent.

With Konsa coming in and Lewis-Skelly confirmed at the club, Arsenal are starting to shape the squad for the title defence. The question is whether Bruno will be ready – and whether there will be more signings before the window closes.

£75 million star wants to go to Manchester United