Can we see a homecoming after all? – Although Napoli have turned down bids from two Premier League clubs and one from Saudi Arabia, Scott McTominay, no one is giving up.

The Scot joined Napoli from Manchester United in the summer of 2024, having spent 22 years at the club at both youth and first-team level.

The 29-year-old played a crucial role in Napoli winning the Serie A title in the 2024/25 season. He was named the league’s Most Valuable Player after contributing 16 goal points in 34 games.

Read: Leon Goretzka gets ready for the Premier League

In one season alone, the Scotsman doubled his previous personal best. In comparison, he scored seven goals and had one assist in 32 league games for Manchester United in 2023/24.

Another strong season – despite Napoli “losing the gold

McTominay has delivered another good Serie A season individually, with 13 goal points in 32 games – this despite Napoli plummeting from Italian champions to second place.

Outgoing manager Antonio Conte could end the season a full 14 points behind this year’s champions Inter Milan, if the team does not win their last league game against Udinese on Sunday afternoon.

Despite Napoli bolstering with another Manchester legend – Kevin De Bruyne – McTominay has still been by far the best midfielder. The Belgian has only scored two goals (none from the penalty spot) in Serie A since leaving the Etihad last season.

Napoli reject bid – hunt for McTominay continues

Despite sustained interest from England and Saudi Arabia, Napoli have reportedly labelled McTominay as “untouchable” ahead of the 2026/27 season.

According to Tuttosport, the Italian club are working quickly to convince the 29-year-old to sign a contract extension at Napoli.

The new contract will probably last until 2030, with an option to extend until 2031. The former league champions want to keep a mainstay in the squad.

The extension will also come with a significant salary increase. McTominay has shown that he deserves bigger sums after two solid years in Italy.

McTominay himself: “I’m extremely happy here”

The 29-year-old has previously stated to Corriere dello Sport that his future is at Napoli – despite rumours of a return to the Premier League dominating the headlines.

“My agent has not communicated with anyone regarding my future. He only talks to me and to the club. He has not said anything to the newspapers. I’m extremely happy here,” McTominay said.

“As far as I’m concerned, I’m a Napoli player. That’s all I think about. I could see myself in Naples for a long time,” the 29-year-old continued.

Napoli top: “Yes, I’m worried”

Napoli’s global head of business development Leonardo Giammarioli expressed concern about McTominay’s future as early as February, amid rumours of a return to Old Trafford.

In an interview with talkSPORT, he admitted that he was worried that Napoli and McTominay could receive an offer that would be too lucrative for all parties to refuse.

When asked about a possible return to Manchester United or a similar offer, he replied:

“Yes, of course I’m worried. But first and foremost – Scott is a very nice guy. We will be happy if he reaches a higher level in a couple of years. Maybe not now, maybe not next year – but he deserves it.

“Look at Stuttgart. They wanted to keep Nick Woltemade. But when such a bet comes in, there is not much you can do – when the player wants to leave and the money is important.

The future: For now, he will stay in Naples

For now, the Italian club seems to be keeping a player – and an asset – they consider invaluable for achieving further success in the years to come.

The Scot is back in action on Sunday afternoon against Udinese at home at the Stadio Diego Armando Maradona., He obviously hopes to secure a second place in Serie A for his club.

Read on F7: World Cup trouble! The disaster no one talks about